Trista’s Alibi

by Grace4Ayla on July 6, 2013

Despite frequent and repeated inconsistencies in her statements and behavior, Trista Reynolds has never publicly come under law enforcement scrutiny for the disappearance of her 17-month old daughter, Ayla Bell Reynolds. Trista’s alibi for the date in question purports that she was at The Maine Motel on Friday night, December 16th, 2011 and stayed there until the next day, when she left early on a road trip to Machiasport. Trista has stated that she was picked up that morning by Robert Fortier for the purposes of driving to the penitentiary to visit with his son and her fiance, Raymond Fortier.

Warning: Objects in Mirror are Closer than They Appear

According to this article in the Kennebec Journal, Robert Fortier and Trista Reynolds were “nearing” Ellsworth around 10:00am when Ron Reynolds, Trista’s father, called Robert’s cell phone. Months earlier on the blogs however, we were first told that Ron tried to contact Trista first, but she was asleep.

If Ron was notified by police at 9:30am, rang Trista for thirty minutes, then called Robert at 10:00am while the car was nearing Ellsworth, then backwards deduction would have placed Trista and Robert passing through Waterville between 8 and 9:00am that morning. This is, interestingly enough, supposedly the same time that Justin discovered Ayla was “missing.” According to the latest reports of Justin DiPietro’s timeline that morning, we know that Justin first searched his house, called his mother, called Derek Tudela, then called the police at 8:51 am; there were no reports of anyone searching the neighborhood until police arrived.

Well, that is quite the coincidence isn’t it? What is even more amazing is that Justin DiPietro’s unofficial blog, Stop The Lies did an article on this same information, but no one bothered to speculate about the time Trista and Robert drove through Waterville that morning, despite the blog owner’s adamant assertion that Trista Reynolds kidnapped Ayla herself and has hidden her away with family or friends.

So, who is to say that Trista didn’t make a little impromptu stop at the DiPietro residence to see her kid, as she was traveling that direction anyway? As a mother, I know I would have been inclined to stop.

More than Meets the Eye

In that same Kennebec Journal article, Trista Reynolds reveals to us some interesting things.

Trista Reynolds said her interview was longer. She was taken to a room and questioned by Waterville detective David Caron, she said. Caron asked her where she was headed that morning and why, and when she last saw and spoke to Ayla.

“The last time I saw her was November 21 and the last time I talked to her was December 8, and that was it,” she said.

Statement analysis tells us that whenever a person says “that’s all I know” or “and that was it,” it indicates a desire to stop the flow of information, and in most cases, the person usually knows much more than they are saying. Deception detected.

I’m not convinced Trista ever saw Ayla again after she left for rehab, but this statement definitely has me re-thinking that theory.

I wonder what Robert Fortier’s cell phone pings would tell us? Did he pick Trista up in South Portland, or in Waterville? If he picked Trista up at the DiPietro residence around 8:30am, it would have given Justin enough time to call mom and Derek and then the police. Also, this would have put Robert and Trista right where they said they were around 10:00am.

While I don’t currently believe that Trista Reynolds had anything to do with Ayla’s alleged abduction, I do believe that she was an active participant in the plot to murder her daughter for the life insurance money. In light of the custody issues between Trista and Justin, as well as this convenient timeline, I am almost positive that law enforcement would have checked out not only Robert and Trista’s cell phone pings, but the phone calls themselves, to verify all of Trista’s alibi. What conclusions do you suppose they came to?

The story still fits in with my previously-stated theory. If Trista arrived around 3:00am at the DiPietro house, fought with Justin, came up with a plan to tell police, then waited for her ride – I would expect that she would be exhausted and able to sleep through a phone ringing for thirty minutes. She may have even been avoiding the call, knowing what lie ahead. It would also explain Ron Reynolds’ dramatic account of that morning, especially if he was the one who drove her to Waterville to begin with.

“He asked me where my granddaughter was,” Reynolds recalled. “I said, ‘Well, Ayla is in Waterville with her father.'”

Reynolds knew something wasn’t right. His heart started pounding. He lashed out at the officer.

“I said, ‘What the (expletive) are you talking about?'”

The officer told Reynolds that Ayla was missing.

“That’s when I fell to the ground and cried,” he said.

This whole exchange doesn’t make sense. Ron says the officer asked him where Ayla was, and he responded. Next, he then tells us he asked “What the blank are you talking about,” without telling us the officer spoke again. Why would Ron ask the officer what he was talking about if the officer had only asked one question? Ron Reynolds’ reaction to the officer’s explanation is simply outrageous, more closely resembling the reaction to being told someone close had died, not gone missing. The expected reaction might be confusion, shock, fear, perhaps even anger, but not falling to your knees and crying. That’s just bad Lifetime Movie-acting. Deception detected.

In conclusion, neither Ron Reynolds’ nor his daughter Trista’s account of their actions the morning Ayla was reported missing pass my straight face or my smell test. I don’t see how they could have passed law enforcement’s tests either.

Perhaps they didn’t.

Previous post:

Next post: